Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Summer berry preserves

I love toast with butter and jam. Love it. To me its perfect for breakfast, lunch, snacks and sometimes even dinner (usually not all in the same day!). Unfortunately I prefer the expensive kind with lots of fruit and very little sugar and other stuff mixed in. And that can get, well, expensive. So this year I decided to try making my own.

On Saturday morning I went to the farmers market and got strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries.


On Saturday night I washed everything and de-stemmed the strawberries. I did a lot of 'quality control' tasting while I was washing them!

Is your mouth watering yet?


Now I have 12 jars of this yumminess!


The recipe I used said to add the zest of an orange. I was curious to find out how berries plus orange zest would taste and I'm happy to report that its delicious - the orange zest adds a really nice element! I probably should have added more pectin because its a little runny but its not too bad.

Now I really want to make apricot jam but that seems like a lot more work!

3 comments:

Brandon and Becca said...

We are going to need your recipe. We did freezer jam, but that is a lot of sugar. Something with less sugar might be nice for my crazy boys.

Terry said...

Looks YUMMERS.......

Baldwin Family said...

It looks delicious!! I could eat all those berries now. Can you share the recipe? I just use the basic one that comes with the pectin, so I too would love one with less sugar. And orange zest makes everything better!